Friday, March 20, 2009

Obama on leno

President Obama appeared on Jay Leno tonight, the first time a sitting president has gone on a talk show. Personally I don’t think that a sitting president should be going on a late night talk show, it seems like he is still in campaign mode. But something that caught my attention is a comment President Obama made during the show. I will admit that I have not seen the taping yet, but I have heard that the president made a joke which included the Special Olympics. Conservative commentators will undoubtedly, as I have already seen, try to make a big fuss about this. Their main argument, as far as I can tell, is that if former president Bush had said this he would have been crucified by the media. I believe this to be true, but as I think it would be unjust to crucify Bush if he had made this same comment, I in the same way think that it would be unjust to hold President Obama to this imaginary standard that conservatives think that Bush would be held to in the same situation, while thinking that Bush was mistreated by the media. Conservatives need to understand that the way in which liberals treated Bush the past 8 years is unacceptable, but the last thing they should do is treat Obama the exact way that liberals treated Bush. This takes away any sense of moral high ground, and the fantasy that they are offering something different to the American people (ie. Conservative principles) and makes them just as petty as the liberals they have been criticizing for the past 8 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment